Saturday, May 3, 2008

Art In Close-Up: Birds Of Prey #107

Time for a closer look at the second of two BoP pages I got from Nicola Scott at the recent convention.

Birds Of Prey #107
Page 13


Pencils: Nicola Scott
Inks: Doug Hazlewood

Writer: Gail Simone

Letters: Travis Langham

Colours: Hi Fi Designs

The full pages:



Nicola Scott does layouts on the back of her pages. This time I reversed the roughs (except for the full page shot, oooops!), so they're facing the same way as the finished page (obviously, being on the back means they face the opposite way normally).

I got this page primarily for the gorgeous shot of Ice in panel 4. It's also got a really interesting layout. How the heck do you artist people come up with ideas like that?

Panel 1:




Panel 2:



Hats off to whoever coloured this, because that middle transition shot of Catman made no sense to my eyes before I referred to the printed version. Being all tucked up like that, my eyes had it as being some sort of helmet in Catman's hand.

Panel 3:



Panel 4:



The original looks so much better than the coloured version imo. The colourist washed it out a bit too much for my taste. I love the expressions on the faces of Ice and Huntress.

Panel 5:




I framed it this afternoon. It may not stay there too long, that wall gets a bit of sun, and I normally just have a print there, since it's expendable. But, I really wanted to have a decent look at it, so I'll just keep an eye on it.

No comments: