Monday, December 31, 2007

3 Hours To Go...

...until 2008, as I sit here typing this (don't believe the time Blogger says I posted this, that's stupid American time, not NZ). Random thoughts on the year past...
  • Blue Beetle continues to rock, everyone should be reading it.
  • Stuart Moore and Jamal Igle consistently hit a home run each month on Firestorm, but that wasn't enough to save it. If Blue Beetle goes the same way, I will be pissed.
  • Tad Williams had an excellent entry into the field of comics. It's just a shame he was writing good stories about a stupid character. Hope Aquaman getting cancelled hasn't put him off writing comics.
  • Meeting Doug Jones at a convention was a definite highlight of the year. Didn't really know the first thing about him beforehand, but he turned out to be an awesome guy.
  • Battlestar Galactica, season 3, episode 4. The scene with Galactica jumping into New Caprica's atmosphere and launching vypers, then jumping out, will be burned into my brain for a long time to come. Stunning.
  • All the Jason haters that wanted Ronnie Raymond back as Firestorm managed to completely miss that all the elements that made Firestorm a fun comic in the early 80's, were present in the current version.
  • Isn't part of the reason we like DC due to the legacy element of characters?
  • Gail Simmone leaving Birds Of Prey still sucks.
  • I discovered the joys of original art via eBay, picked up about 20 pieces this year. In some ways it's fitting that on the last day of the year, my crown jewel arrived from Texas. Matt Haley, Firestorm #8 cover. Hell yeah. This thing is gorgeous (pics to come later)
  • The Silver Surfer managed not to completely suck in the F4 movie.
  • SS has had a couple of pretty average mini series this year though.
  • I rediscovered the joy of drawing. Now if I actually had the time to do it properly.
  • Firestorm joined the JLA about a year too late. Maybe the exposure could've saved his title.
  • I didn't post on this thing nearly as much as I wanted to. I wish I could blame it all on work.
  • Keith Champagne showed potential when he wrote a JSA arc, but kinda blew it this year with WW3 and Arena...
  • This year really proved that being successful in a different field doesn't necessarily mean you'll be any good at writing comics.
  • I'd like to thank Upper Deck. Increasing the set size for the DC VS game last year has made it too hard to complete any sets without resorting to ebay. Hence this year I stopped buying cards, and have saved a bunch of money. If you can buy 2 boxes, and still end up 20 cards short (all rares) of a set, then it's not worth bothering with.
  • Iron Fist!! For some reason I haven't added it to my pull list yet, which is stupid because it's awesome and my shop has a habbit of selling out of things that are good.
  • Every year this happens- someone comes over for the convention, and then a few months later I discover their work. Brian K Vaughan came here in April, and now in the last month I've actually read some of his stuff. I've got all the Y trades now. Dammit.
This list is already too long, so I'm going to stop now.

No comments: