Sunday, December 9, 2007

Song Of The Week - The Forever People

Inspired by an ad found in Action Comics #596, I thought I'd highlight one of My Dying Bride's early classics. From their 1992 debut album "As The Flower Withers" (complete with Dave McKean cover art), it's:

The Forever People.



I went with a rather groovy live performance, since it's free, but it's pretty spot-on to the LP version.

My Dying Bride have always been at the forefront of the Doom Metal genre, with a very theatrical approach and mad poetry for lyrics.

The Forever People Lyrics
They would take a more gothic approach in following albums, but their debut is heavily rooted in the Death/Doom genre. What makes the album, and this song, stand out is the way the brutality is contrasted by atmospheric sections, notably in the middle of the song. The whole thing combines to be pretty unsettling.

No comments: