Monday, March 31, 2008

Guyvaaaaaaahhh!

It's taken weeks, but I finally finished my Guyver resin helmet. I'm really happy with how it turned out, deffinately worth the effort.

The horn doesn't match up cleanly with the helmet, I had to do some sculpting with putty to make it flow. It's not something I generally enjoy, or am very good at, but it worked pretty well. You can see the putty join in a couple of places, but it doesn't look out of place. I also added 3 pins to strengthen the join, since the horn is pretty heavy.

Drybrushing was the order of the day for pretty much everything. 4 or 5 different shades of blue went on, and the organic bits were brown drybrushed up to red, then washed with red ink to pull it all together. I did the highlights using glow-in-the-dark paint, just to see if it would show up under an ink wash, and it does, heh.

I had planned on doing the control metal using chrome paint, but noone had any, so I had to settle for a standard silver, but it's not much of a loss, I like it like this.

There's a few minor organic areas that I just did blue, I wanted to make the red parts stand out more, which I thought they might not if I overdid it with the details.

Also, the eye pieces didn't quite fit tightly, but some putty fixed that. Painted the eye cavities a deep red, which shows through nicely. Finished with a satin varnish (eye pieces added after, obviously).

So, my life has a little bit more spare time now. Who knows, I may even update this blog more regularly.

Don't hold your breath though ;)

No comments: